What you do
- Preheat the oven to 160⁰C/320⁰F/Gas Mark 3.
- Spread the desiccated coconut for the icing onto a baking tray, and roast in the oven until golden brown, before leaving to cool.
- Grease a 20cm cake tin, and line the base with baking paper. Put the coconut oil for a cake into a mixing bowl, and whisk it until it is soft and light. Add the sugars and the lemon zest and blend well. Gradually add the eggs (if it starts to curdle, add a little flour). Carefully fold in the parsnip and coconut, followed by the flour and the baking powder. Loosen the mixture with the lemon juice.
- Turn this mixture into your tin, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out of the tin to cool completely.
- When the cake is cold, it’s time to ice it. Beat the oil in a mixer, and slowly add the sugar, beating with each addition. Once the mixture is smooth and thick, drizzle in the lemon juice mixture. Beat for 2 more minutes, then leave to set for 10 minutes, before spreading over the cake. Once iced, sprinkle over the toasted coconut, and leave the icing to set for 30 minutes before eating.