There’s a new healthy hot chocolate in town
11th October 2018
We all love something sweet and stimulating. For many of us, our favourite ‘something sweet’ is chocolate and as the winter draws in, what better way to cosy up than with a warming cup of hot cocoa.
We all know that sugar, particularly refined sugar, is bad for our health. This has been a hot topic in the media lately, leading to a sugar tax which was put into effect earlier this year, and a proposed ban on energy drinks for under-18s. However, it is increasingly difficult to find food and drink that doesn’t have hidden or added sugars.
In fact, some drinks can contain up to 25 teaspoons of sugar. According to an NHS report, that’s over three and a half times more sugar than children aged 11 or over and adults should consume per day, and far more than the recommended amount for children under the age of 11.
Rather than leaving us with a feeling of satisfaction, the more sugar we consume, the more we want. This is because sugar interferes with leptin, a hormone that helps to produce feelings of satiety.
What’s more, whilst sugary foods and drinks taste good, things don’t stay sweet for long. We experience an initial burst of energy, otherwise known as a “sugar high”, which inevitably leads to a crash. This results in an unwanted lack of energy and low to no concentration levels. Our mood can also be affected.
An over-consumption of sugar can send our minds and bodies into a tailspin, increasing feelings of stress, anxiety, irritability and depression.
The good news is that we don’t have to cut out all chocolate. Many will be pleased to hear that cocoa and its raw contemporary, cacao, are not the enemies. Refined sugar and additives are.
A new healthy hot chocolate
If you find yourself hitting a wall at midday and reaching for your nearest sugary snack, then Pukka's new sugar and dairy-free Cacao Maca Magic latte could be the answer.
Blended with 100% certified organic, medicinal-grade herbs and spices, Pukka’s Cacao Maca latte is a delicious, luxurious and guilt-free way to enjoy nature’s finest botanicals.
Beneath the velvety chocolate flavour lies health-boosting organic herbs to naturally elevate your mood and balance hormones. As a natural alternative to sugar, this latte blend contains inulin, a sweet but calorie-free ingredient that is also a pre-biotic.
With the inclusion of cocoa bean powder, Pukka’s Cacao Maca Magic latte is luxuriously creamy and satisfying.
- Cocoa - The Latin name for cacao is translated as “food of the Gods” and has been enjoyed for centuries, first by the Mayans as a form of currency, now transported all over the world for us all to enjoy its wellbeing benefits.
- Ashwagandha - A renowned adaptogen, ashwagandha has been used for centuries in Eastern and Ayurvedic medicine, to ease away stress-related tension and calm a busy or anxious mind.
- Maca - A stimulating superfood that is rich in antioxidants, Maca has recently taken centre stage in the natural health and nutrition community.
- Shatavari - An adaptogenic tonic, well known for nourishing and supporting the female system.
- Cinnamon - A naturally sweet spice, cinnamon can help to balance blood sugar levels and help beat sugar cravings.
- Inulin - Inulin is a type of plant fibre that helps to improve gut health, heart health and metabolic rate, as well as stimulating digestion and contributing to healthy bowel movements.
Introducing our new herbal latte range
The Cacao Maca Magic latte is just one of four new herbal Pukka latte blends, which also includes Turmeric Gold, Majestic Matcha Chai and Ginger Joy. Four delicious, healthy, indulgent treats packed with organic, practitioner grade spices and adaptogenic herbs to support you throughout your day, with no added sugar in sight.