Five Herbs to Help you Sleep
1st November 2016
The reason why a good night’s sleep is so important is because it is while we are sleeping that we repair our mind and body.
There are 4 stages to the sleep cycle, with stages 3 & 4 being the most important for body and mind maintenance and repair. There are all sorts of different symptoms associated with insomnia such as difficulty getting to sleep, difficulty in staying asleep, restlessness at night, excessive dreaming and irregular sleeping patterns.
Here are five herbs to help support healthy sleeping patterns.
- Lavender: A renowned herb for settling frazzled nerves. The aromatic essential oils in this plant can help reduce difficulty falling asleep and prevent night-time wakening.
- Limeflower: A traditional remedy for nightmares and bad dreams.Its calming effect on the nervous system also make it effective in treating a nervous digestion. The perfect, gently remedy for children.
- Valerian: Directly promotes relaxation of the nervous system through enhancement of GABA neurotransmission. It encourages healthy sleeping patterns, ensuring you wake feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead.
- Ashwagandha: A traditional Ayurvedic remedy shown to improve sleep quality. It tackles core energy levels, enabling the body to adapt and respond to stress in a more energy-efficient way.
- Oatflower: Oats are a natural source of tryptophan. Tryptophan helps regulate our body’s natural circadian rhythms and melatonin is synthesised from Tryptophan. It is melatonin that influences you to feel sleepy; its release can be inhibited even by the presence of artificial lights.